Feeling Fully Nourished
The secret to living a happy and healthy life lies in how well nourished you are on a regular basis. I know this sounds simple and yet it is oh so true. Unfortunately, most women take a back seat to nourishing themselves while they are busy taking care of everyone else. Ladies, it’s time to put on your oxygen mask first!
The key to self-nourishment begins with LOVE. Many women lack self-love, and without it, you may not be motivated to take in all the delicious little tidbits to become fully nourished. I know this only too well. I’ve walked in the shoes of self-doubt and fear for far too long, and they served to erode my health and my happiness.
My wake-up call came in the form of a chronic illness. With the support of some incredible mentors, I began to learn to love myself. It was a slow process, but one that drastically changed the course of my life. I wrote a love letter to myself highlighting the many facets I wanted to bring into my life, as though they were already in existence. I read this letter every night before falling asleep, and soon a shift occurred—and that’s when the magic happened…Bit by bit, I began doing simple daily practices to nourish myself to have the life I longed for and am now living. The results of diving deeply into self-love and self-nourishment were simply outstanding, so I wanted to share and help other women to learn the many tips and techniques that I embraced through the years. Below is a list taken from foodGEVITY, an online program I co-founded. I encourage you to look at each one and ask yourself which areas could use a little more love and self-nourishment.
• Cultivate Positivity & Gratitude – Did you know that the average person thinks over 60,000 thoughts a day and that about 80% of those thoughts are negative? This was key for me in moving from fear to love in my life.
• Be Resilient – Learning to bend before you break when faced with a challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow from adversity. This was a lesson that made a huge difference in how I perceived and faced the many health setbacks that came my way.
• Live Your Purpose & Passion – You know the old saying: Do what you love and love what you do. This is as it should be. If you are in a job that is no longer serving you, make a plan and move on.
• Nurture Your Spirituality – For too many years, I was devoid of feeling a spiritual connection. I opened myself to a higher source, and the love and energy that flows through me now is nothing short of miraculous! I feel most connected while in nature.
• Prioritize Self-Care – Take time daily, weekly, and monthly to love up on you! I have simple daily routines that keep me thriving, from dry-brushing and coconut oil at shower time to soft music and essential oils at bedtime.
• Rock Your Relationships – Who is your tribe who supports, respects, and honors you for you? Who do you need to forgive? Who do you need to establish some boundaries with? I am truly blessed with an incredible support team of family, friends, and healthcare professionals, including my beloved pooch!
• Move Your Body – For many, this falls by the wayside, and yet it is critical to the smooth operation of so many of your organs, your joints and muscles, and your feel-good hormones. I find simple ways to keep moving that my body loves and that I enjoy.
• Enrich Your Finances – Being a good steward of your money and thinking in abundance brings great rewards. My motto is to have prosperity to enjoy my lifestyle to help others along the way!
• Clear the Clutter – This is both physical and emotional. Get rid of what no longer serves you, and you’ll be amazed at the emotional clearing that occurs.
• Mind the Food on Your Fork – From staying happily hydrated and eating whole clean foods, to indulging in a healthful sweet ending, this is the icing on the cake of living a life of wellness!
I am now 55 and I thrive. I am a wife, a mom, and a grandmother who leads a very active and fulfilled life. I’m so passionate about what I have accomplished, despite the challenges of having a chronic disease. As The Wellness Designer, I plan online and in-person events and programs to support women to reach their health and happiness desires. I feel so blessed to do this work and see others bloom their way to wellness in all walks of life!